Friday, March 20, 2015

Charlie Hebdo-draw on terror – I was more angry than sorry – NRK

Bernhard Willem Holtrop is a Dutch artist who goes by the name Willem. He sat on the train when the editorial offices of Charlie Hebdo was attacked.



HEAVY TIME Bernhard Willem Holtrop at the funeral of Georges Wolinski.

Photo: THOMAS SAMSON / AFP

– I was on my way from my home in Brittany to Paris, when I received a phone call from a friend. There is trouble in Charlie Hebdo. I thought: There’s always trouble in Charlie Hebdo, said Holtrop.

He says that threats to the magazine had become so numerous that he had stopped caring about them. But this time it was real.

– A new friend called and said that two pieces were killed. I thought. It is impossible. Then half an hour later called another and said that ten people were killed. I could not believe it, said Holtrop.

Reacted with anger

73-year-old has lived in France since 1968. He has made the drawings for Charlie Hebdo right from the first edition when het magazine Hebdo-Hara- Kiri and he is regular supplier to the daily newspaper Libération.

– How did you react?

– I was more angry than sad. They killed their colleagues and my friends. The only option is to turn back. With several magazines. It is our only weapon, said Holtrop.

He says the toughest after the attack was to see widows of funerals.

But despite the strong experience, he not afraid.

– If they really want to kill me, they manage it. So it does not matter if I’m scared or not.



Vomiting of new “friends”

He has previously stated that he throws up all the new friends weekly magazine received after attack .

– We got many new friends, as Pope, Queen Elizabeth and Putin. I have to laugh, he said.

And then the support of the innvadrerkritiske right politician Geert Wilders was mentioned, he said: “We throw up on all those guys there, those who call themselves our friends.

On Skup conference he repeated criticism.

– Yes, those who place themselves in the first instance to be captured, such as Sarkozy, yes they … sighed Holtrop dumbfounding to chuckles from the audience.



IN NORWAY Bernhard Willem Holtrop interviewed by Svein Tore Bergestuen under SKUP conference.

Photo: Øyvind Bye Separating / NRK

20.03.2015, at. 23.19

03.20.2015, at. 23.54

LikeTweet

No comments:

Post a Comment