Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Stoltenberg: – Norway has shown strength after 22 July – Aftenbladet.no

Wednesday is the former Labour Party leader present when the 77 who lost their lives in the attack on July 22, recalls in the government quarter and Utøya.

– I experienced as prime minister that the country I lead was exposed to a terrorist attack, the party I led and places I have a close relationship, was attacked. Therefore, it is also something that I personally have a very close relationship, says Stoltenberg said.

– There were people I worked with in the government quarter, and people I knew from AUF and Labor. For me there to attend a personal desire to show respect, he adds.



Attending camp

On Utøya marked the tragedy with the dedication of a new memorial consisting of a ring with the names of 60 of the 69 who were killed on the island.

Stoltenberg will also participate when AUF, for the first time since the tragedy in 2011, organizes its annual summer camp where between 7 and 9 August.

– I feel that it is important to be present to show that the island is a place where one can reconcile it to remember and show respect, with it having activity.

Although, He participated in every summer camp on Utøya since 1974.

– I have made speeches and participated as AUF is. And I also said in the days after 22 July 2011 that I should come back when it again becomes clay. It’s something I feel is right, he said.



Balance

Since 2011, the discussion going about AUF ever should have camp on Utøya and in what form the island should have in the future. Some survivors and AUF-ers who were present four years ago, believes it is wrong that it opened already.

– I am glad that the AUF has spent time keeping a close dialogue with the relatives and support group, says Stoltenberg.

– Seen from the outside, I find that they have managed to find a balance between remembering and showing respect, but simultaneously take back the island and use it again. It’s a very difficult balance, he adds.

There has also been controversy about the new information center opens in the government quarter on Wednesday. Several have responded that the car bomb to Anders Behring Breivik is part of the exhibition.

– I understand the need to create an information center. July 22 is a dramatic event in the history of Norway. It can not be hushed up, but must be treated with the dignity and respect that such a brutal incident must be dealt with, says Stoltenberg.



Openness and democracy

In several speeches in the days that followed the attack , jellyfish the then Prime Minister to “more democracy and more openness.” Four years after it is possible to say that Norway has succeeded in this, he said.

– I think Norway has shown strength, says Stoltenberg.

– It is easy to say that it’s just words, but in this context it plays a role. It’s about that we stood up for some values, that we are a society characterized by trust and openness. We are still, he says. (© NTB) (© NTB)

LikeTweet

No comments:

Post a Comment