Wednesday, July 29, 2015

All buses ran from Magne (50) – Bergens Tidende

Actually should Magne Mollandsøy others go on holiday. So it was not.

– I am totally dependent on my electric wheelchair to get me around the world, and what I experienced with Skyss feels very discriminatory, says an upset Magne Mollandsøy, who suffers from multiple sclerosis (MS).

Ahead of hyttetur he contacted public company Skyss to hear if he could take a bus from Åsane in Bergen, where he lives, to Austrheim.

The message was positive. But the experience was anything but pleasant, according to him.

– The operator of the phone said there would be zero problem, and I had also received a reply from Skyss by mail, at their routing information to know this.

Read also: When Camilla will take the train, she is placed at prams

Waited in vain for the next bus

When he would change buses in Knarvik, there were no buses that could have him and wheelchair with.

– I was sitting there for five hours. Each bus driver said that next bus could carry me. But when the next bus came, it was exactly the same answer.

Some kind of bus drivers also called operators for him, but it was the same message there too:

– They just kept repeating that next bus could take me, he said.

Also read: From user to citizen

The feeling of being invisible

– You can imagine the feeling of being invisible. Here I sit in despair, while able-bodied passengers rises up and down on the bus past me. They stare at me strangely and probably wondering what is wrong with me where I desperately awaits.

Get Mollandsøy asked if he needed help. If no experience with Skyss is discrimination, what does the word, ask Bergenser.



Road Trip with wheelchair

It was an hour between each bus from Knarvik out to Austrheim. As the fourth bus had driven five hours after he arrived, he was so damned that he would take a chance.

– I decided that not all day would be wasted, and turned the wheelchair toward Åsane .

Then began the long journey home.

– It’s quite a trip for wheelchair access from Knarvik and Åsane I’ll tell you. I got at least looked a little, although I did not get visited hut, he says and laughs mildly.

Quickly, however, the tone another.

– There is an enormous amount of attention to be most feature fresh today. I hope we Accessible be forgotten, he said.



Skyss: – We regret

Skyss says to BT that such should not happen, but that tender on Norhordlandsbussene came before it became law requirements for buses fully disabled. The introduction of new buses is underway, according to Sales and Marketing Manager Hanne Alver Krum.

All new buses must be wheelchair accessible.

– We think it is terribly sad and we apologize strongly what has occurred. It is not such an impression users of Skyss should have, says sales and marketing manager Hanne Alver Krum adding:

– We will contact our operator Nobina to ascertain what went wrong.

LikeTweet

No comments:

Post a Comment